For carnitas meat:
- 4-5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 2 cups chicken stock, broth or chicken bone broth (I used Kettle & Fire Chicken Bone Broth)
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice from about 2 oranges
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder (or 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced)
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-4 fresh limes
For Chipotle copycat carnitas bowls:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into about 1-inch wide strips, washed, and dried
- Chipotle Guacamole
- Fresh cilantro and diced red onion for garnish
Add the chicken, broth, orange juice, onion, garlic and seasonings to the bowl of a large slow cooker. Gently toss to combine.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until the chicken is completely tender and shreds easily with a fork.
Once the chicken is cooked, preheat your broiler to high heat and grease one large baking sheet with cooking spray. Use a fork to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the prepared baking sheet, spreading the chicken in an even layer and leaving the juices behind in the slow cooker. (Don’t discard the juices, you will use them later!)
Place baking sheet under the broiler, 2 racks down from the very top, and broil for about 5-6 minutes, or until the edges of the chicken begin browning and crisping up. Remove the sheet from the oven, then ladle about 1/2 cup of the juices from the slow cooker evenly over the chicken, and then give it a good toss with some tongs so that the chicken is evenly coated with the juices. Broil for an additional 5 minutes to get the meat more crispy. Then remove and ladle an additional 1/2 cup of broth over the crispy chicken. Broil for an additional 5 minutes. Then remove the sheet from the oven, and toss chicken with the remaining juices. Then drizzle with fresh lime juice from the limes.
Create a Chipotle copycat carnita bowl or serve in tacos, burritos, or salads. This chicken can also be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 3 days or frozen in a sealed container for up to 3 months.